Victim/Survivor Options

The Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator can assist you in locating resources. You are not alone in facing these matters. You can find numerous ways to access support from the options below.


Click on an option to get more information.

Contact an advocate—24-hour assistance

An advocate can confidentially answer questions, provide information about options, and help with safety planning. Victims/Survivors have a right to include an advocate in meetings with university administrators, law enforcement, medical personnel, and in court proceedings.


(319) 335-6000

Domestic Violence Intervention Program

(800) 373-1043

Monsoon United Asian Women Of Iowa

(866) 881-4641

Make an administrative complaint or consult about UI policies/procedures

Individuals may chose to make a criminal complaint and/or administrative policy complaint. The criminal and administrative processes are separate, but can be pursued concurrently. To make or inquire about making an administrative complaint, call one of the offices below. 

Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator

(319) 335-6200

Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity

(319) 335-0705

Seek medical assistance

A sexual assault medical exam ensures:

  1. Physical injuries that may have occurred are promptly identified and addressed.
  2. Victims receive medication for prevention of pregnancy, HIV, or other infections.
  3. Evidence is collected by a sexual assault nurse examiner and preserved for a criminal investigation or university complaint now or in the future.

UIHC Emergency Treatment Center

(319) 356-2233

Mercy Hospital

(319) 339-3600

Make a criminal complaint or ask for police assistance

Emergency: 911

Non-emergency: on campus

University of Iowa Police: (319) 335-5022

Non-Emergency: off campus

Iowa City Police: (319) 356-5275

Coralville Police: (319) 248-1800

Johnson County Sheriff: (319) 356-6020

North Liberty Police: (319) 626-5724

University Heights Police: (319) 887-6800

Get support from a confidential resource

Research suggests that victims/survivors who work with a counselor or advocate heal more quickly and experience less postsecondary trauma.


(319) 335-6000

University Counseling Services

(319) 335-7294


(319) 335-3608

Women’s Resource and Action Center

(319) 335-1486

Faculty and Staff Services

(319) 335-2085

Ask for an accommodation to address safety issues or other concerns

Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator

(319) 335-6200

  • Housing change
  • Class reassignment
  • No contact directive
  • Extension on an assignment
  • Workplace or schedule adjustment
  • Others, based on situation



Download a PDF of the information on this site:


PDF iconResource and Referral Guide (English)

Resource and Referral Guide thumbnail2


PDF icon信息手册和指南

Mandarin Resource and Referral Guide thumbnail2


View a map of UI and community resources:


Screencap of Google map