If someone tells you they have been accused of sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, or stalking below are some things to keep in mind:
- Listen. Don’t judge.
- Don’t probe for details.
- Know and be clear about your ability to maintain confidentiality or not.
- Acknowledge what you don’t know and avoid making promises or predictions about things you don’t control.
- Encourage them to contact confidential resources.
- Refer them to OSMRC if they have question about university actions being taken.
- If they indicate they are struggling with their university commitments due to the situation, let them know that OSMRC may be able to assist with supportive measures.
- Beyond meeting your reporting obligations, keep the information private and don’t talk about it to others.
- Know that retaliation is prohibited. Don’t contribute to an environment in which retaliation occurs.