To find out if you have reporting responsibilities, go to the "Mandatory reporter" defined page. If you have determined that you have no reporting responsibilities, the information on this page may be helpful to you.

As a reminder, under state law and university policy, all university employees who in the course of employment receive information related to physical or sexual abuse of children must immediately report such information to the University of Iowa Police

Responding to Disclosures

As a university employee, you may learn of an incident of sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, or stalking in the course of your work. A student or colleague might share an experience with you as a friend, a trusted adviser, or someone in a position to provide needed assistance. How you respond is very important and may determine whether a victim/survivor chooses to tell anyone else or seek professional assistance. 

Make sure you are familiar with these tips for responding to disclosures.

It is common to be uncertain about how much and what type of assistance it is appropriate to provide. For example, you may want "to get to the bottom of it" or confront the accused individual, especially if the accused is someone with whom you are acquainted or if you feel a personal connection with the victim/survivor. Resist this inclination. University policy prohibits unauthorized "investigations" or other attempts to informally resolve reports of sexual misconduct. Even with good intentions, you may exacerbate a situation or compromise a future investigation. 


Ask if they have any immediate safety concerns. If necessary, contact one of these organizations for help with safety planning:

Rape Victim Advocacy Program (RVAP): (319) 335-6000 (24-hour hotline)

Domestic Violence Intervention Program (DVIP): (800) 373-1043 (24-hour hotline)

Threat Assessment Team (TAT): (319) 467-0311


You may be able to provide essential and immediate assistance by providing an accommodation, like an extension on an assignment or an excused absence from class. If someone needs more than you are able to provide or feel comfortable providing, don't hesitate to contact OSMRC. We often work with employees who are trying to assess what constitutes a reasonable accommodation. Even if you are not required to share the details of a report with OSMRC, you can consult about providing assistance without giving names or other identifying information.